Sunday, January 8, 2012

Food For Your Silly Face

Hello and welcome to my very first blog post. 


There has only been one other time I had ever even considered doing something like this. A few months ago, my friend Sallee and I had discussed co-creating a blog where we would point out great gay-themed films and plays that didn't rely on hackneyed tricks to capture an audience. The blog never really made it to fruition and that was that. 


So, what the hell changed my mind? Well, those who know me are aware that when I love something, I love it all the way (one of the best Scorpio traits, if you ask me). So, among my passions are Splash Mountain, Mariah Carey, music, writing, and cooking. The latter is why we are here today. 


A lovely piece of art depicting some of my favorite things: cheese, Splash Mountain, Mariah Carey and  Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio. Lovingly put together by friend Randy.
Since childhood, I can recall longing to stay in the kitchen with my mom, aunts and grandmothers watching them make almost everything we ate from scratch (and with a lot of love). Those of you who have had similar upbringings know what lovely memories have been created in kitchens. Yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that Mexican kids like myself, had a more complex and rich experience.


My cousin Jenny (rockin' the polka-dots) and myself (more preoccupied with my meal, as always)  at Ensenada's Mercado Negro, circa 19NoneOfYourBusiness.
Like a Scorpio's passion, not much in the Mexican kitchen is half-assed. Our culture gravitates toward deep, bold flavors. We tend to steer clear of wimpy food and favor the good, old-fashioned smells and tastes of yesterday. Very seldom do we cook something that isn't deeply rooted in tradition. 


However, along with our beautiful cooking customs and traditions, comes kilos of lard, grease and deep-fried deliciousness. I am not a thin person. I have struggled with my weight and yet, I refuse to give up foods that I love. So, that is why we are here today; to make a few small repairs on dishes we all love and make them delicious and, most importantly, meat-free!


Before you navigate your search engine to another website, let me plead with you to stay and hang out a while. What I will strive to offer you are Mexican dishes (along with a few other world cuisines) that will make you want to lick your plate. And the entire time, you will find that meat won't even be an afterthought. 


IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: I am, by no means, a professional chef or cook. The kitchen is a beautiful hobby for me and I would like to keep it this way. That being said, I will not be posting every day or even every week. But when I do come to the table with something for you and your friends & family to share, I promise it will be tasty. I also like to curse. A lot. I rarely censor myself in my everyday life, so I most likely won't censor myself here either. Hell, some posts may not even be about food. 


Above and beyond it all, let's get in the fucking kitchen and whip up some tasty food to stuff our faces with.


3 comments:

  1. This is so exciting.

    I think that, like Mexicans, people of every ethnic/regional background (particularly anyone of Italian, Greek, or any Eastern European country like Slovenia [HOLLA! We do bread.]) would say that the kitchen experiences of their cultures are the most complex and rich. And they'd all be right.

    That said, what's amazing and pretty unique about Mexican cooking (in addition to the wonderful indigenous spices) is the tradition of resourcefulness; here's a country that has a vast array of produce but is otherwise widely impoverished. So the ingredients and materials are often surprising, like using parts of an animal or vegetable that some cuisines consider waste... and which turn out to be totally useful and delicious. Plus, so many of the best Mexican recipes are already meat-free out of necessity.

    You've been whoring your delicious food photos without enabling the rest of us to imitate for far too long. Get cooking, bitch.

    (I love you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo excited for you! Can't wait for the delish recipes!!!! Love your Haitian, Scorpian friend Stephanie Anaya Bouchereau :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely writing as well. I can't wait to try your recipes, and hope that my lack of cooking savvy won't mess them up.

    ReplyDelete