Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dear Ms. Houston

Dear Ms. Houston,

I remember hearing your version of Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" when I was just a little boy. I remember thinking, "How does she do that?!" I remember locking myself in my room and belting out that song - CONVINCED I sounded just like you.

I can still see my little fingers rewinding and replaying that cassette over and over and over again, trying to get it just right. I remember the view of my backyard from that bedroom window. I was just a little boy (who didn't know he was gay yet) trying to sound like one of the best female voices I'd ever heard.

You informed my young ears and developed my musical taste for rich, soulful voices. You truly possessed a voice that could emotionally shake people to their core and awaken their spirit.

I don't know what was going on in your personal life in the last few years, but I always hoped you would come back stronger than ever. I am personally saddened we will no longer hear new music delivered by that incredible gift of a voice.

I was lucky enough to have seen you perform live twice and I hold those memories so dear.

I once heard Ann Hampton-Callaway sing that nightingales are not able to sing a note until they hear another nightingale sing. It helps them find their own voice.

I pray you are at peace.

Thank you for being one of my nightingales.

-G.Q.

No comments:

Post a Comment